What is Panda and Penguin?

seo-services-consultant-seo-bannerWhat makes Google so great is the value that they deliver to people who uses them.  We tend to trust the information to be fairly reasonable to what we are searching for.  Because of search engine, sentry’s called: Panda and Penguin.  This wasn’t always the case but they have made strides to changing that.  The science behind what makes Google work is very simple really.  Now if you’re getting into digital marketing or you want to be a seo specialist you’re probably hearing the terms, Panda or Penguin thrown around.  What do they mean, are they important to your online success and what can you do about it?  Firstly, I don’t know this for sure.  In real life, I know penguins are fairly safe.  They’re curious about us.  As for a Panda, I wouldn’t recommend trying to pet one in the wild.  Though this isn’t what we mean when we talk about these creatures.  We’ll get into that.

Here’s what made Google unique.  When they began the creators noticed something about the web at the time.  They learned the value of links.  This is how they deemed a website was valuable.  They realized here is a website that has 100 links from 100 different websites.  Then they’ve noticed how another website in the same category is only getting 20.  So, Google said, “The website with the most links must be the most important.”  So they created their spider-bot to start crawling the internet.  If they found a website that had a link, one part of the agent will continue to scan the website and a part will follow the link and repeat the process.

For every page they find, they’d index it while noticing how many links are pointing to it.  This is how they’ve determined value.  As time went on people learned that if I just threw a bunch of links to my website I’ll rank higher in Google.  I personally learned about SEO in 2010.  In 2011, I started to become a little more business oriented with it.  Yet, early on I felt a link from a website that people frequented were more valuable.

Meaning, if I had a link from CNN.com would be more valuable to me than 1,000 websites I just made up today and threw those links to my website.  Only because I figured if an article is being read, a person might also want to take action also.  This isn’t to say I have any articles from CNN.com but a lot of articles come from “authoritative” domains.  I cared to go for high traffic websites to do business with them.

Somehow working even back in 2010.  I remember having about 70 websites I’d do business with at any given time.  I’d write an article or have one written and I would guest post on these places.  This is how I started Zion Port before it existed.  This practice is still used today, I just have more resources now.  So, for an agreed price, I’d do my SEO by promising at least 4 links from reputable websites is what I called it.

In the year, 2012 Google rolled out Penguin.  This was a program designed to take care of one thing.  Links.  When Google learned that people were easily gaming the system by simply throwing links at a website and you can easily rank questionable websites with their search results.  Well, the good news is SEO agencies (unlike my own) used this to their advantage of course.  They were able to charge the same thing as I do and offer you 4,000 links each month.  The reason why this is good news is because even though this happened, you were able to saturate Google with more stuff and not just “questionable adult material.”  That being said, Google figured out how these links were being acquired and from where.  People used what are known as link farms.  It’s essentially mini-websites and all it has on it were links.

A massive backlash went out across the internet and businesses lost their top positions on Google and this caused a considerable uproar.  You were either not on the first page of Google or not on Google at all.  Google released guidelines as to how the search algorithm works and they called it Penguin.  Where it was no longer about how many links you had but the quality of the links.  Not to boast but I believe I can, but none of my clients in the past or present has ever suffered a penalty from Google.

Then Google released this thing that they like to rank websites that have content.  If you’re a website with content then Google wants to reward you.  Of course, this was soon taken advantage of.  Zion Port knew this but we never waivered.  We said, “Let’s just keep writing relevant topical content and distributing them to our partners.”  We also realized as Google’s Penguin was updating that it seemed to get smarter and smarter with the links that we figured well it’s a matter of time when they’ll expand that to include poorly created articles.

No sooner than we’ve spoken they’ve released a whole new algorithm and called it, Panda.  A lot of our competitor’s clients left them when they learned how the tactics they were using weren’t quality based.  For a time it was good until it wasn’t.  Zion Port never took the approach, let’s market for Google.  We’ve taken the approach let’s create the internet that we can enjoy.  If I want to read quality articles, then let’s create quality articles.

On the same note, the reason why these agencies burned out because they wanted to deliver speed to their clients.  There are always interesting loopholes in the Google algorithm that you can take advantage of that will rank a website super fast but time has told us that Google quickly learns of that loophole and corrects it.  So we always tell our clients, because we want to do right by you.  We don’t sell get rich quick, what we offer is quality and we build you up and it takes time for us to do that.  Which is why you’ll see our campaigns are recommended for 6 months.  Because it’s a safe steady progression that will make you Google-proof at some point.  Now, there are keywords that we target that will rank super fast and others that are extremely stubborn.  That generally deals with the competitive nature and some other factors.

We have turned down a lot of business because the client wants fast.  Do we know methods that will do it?  Probably, will it be a lasting method and will it hurt them in the end?  Again history in such a short time that fast growth through sketchy tactics is never good.  If we do things right, you’ll be safe!



from Zion Port http://bit.ly/2iVb9Du
seo, Google Algorithm, Panda, Penguin

0 comments: